What is Chords & Oil?
Chords & Oil: An art collective with a progressive agenda.
Why we exist
Art has long been the catalyst for social and cultural progress. Our goal is to enact creative expression as a means to affect deep and lasting social change. By creating an open-minded, unbiased and committed artistic collective, we aspire to encourage imaginative expression throughout the community in an attempt to better it as a whole. Through the formation of an artistic community we are making a conscious effort to facilitate and participate in social change. In this way, art becomes an act of progress, promoting positive and creative expression that then reflects onto the community. If we as a community seek love, respect, and beauty we must actively promote it through art. Being active agents of change requires more than throwing happening parties, change requires participation in all realms of society. Our dreams of a better place to live can come true if we work together towards a common goal.
We are interested in progress in Topeka. Specifically, we want to see more art, more opportunities for artists (especially young artists), and more public and community art projects, murals / walls, and installations. We will work to achieve this through special events, performances, and installations, collaborations among artists and other community organizations, and participation in community events and groups. We hope to accomplish our mission through fund-raising, solicitation of donations, art auctions and art sales, special events, and grants.
- Providing a network for artists share ideas and gain support for accomplishing collaborative projects
- Promoting local arts events to young artists to engage the next generation of arts advocates in our community
- Assisting young artists with program and project development to enhance arts, arts education and community beautification
- Hosting shows and exhibitions and providing opportunities for exposure
- Highlighting experimental art in the community
- Working collaboratively with artists for shared input and output
- (eventually) having a gallery space and showing art by young / new artists
- Sharing jobs and opportunities for artists (murals, teaching, employment, etc)
- Build creativity in our community
- Inject life into downtown Topeka
- Encourage downtown revitalization
- Change perceptions of our community